Friday, April 23, 2010

Inanna, Sumerian Goddess of the Great Above and her Descent to the Underworld

Inanna and I over the years

My favourite story for adults is the great myth cycle of The Sumerian Goddess of Fertility, Inanna. The Jung Society in Brisbane want me to do my workshop for them in June called "Walking with the Goddesses" and they also expressed interest in Inanna. I long to tell Inanna again, but it is such an epic, grand tale that I don't tell her often.

The myth reverberates with powerful archetypes and the text is rich and fun, but quite dense. Rehearsing it and telling it demands more energy than other tales. I feel I need to really honour the story by making a public performance a holy, reverent occasion with attention to detail- flowers, beautiful devotional objects, incense, candles etc. I think I will definitely have to do a public performance of her this year. If you are interested especially if you live near the Byron Shire, let me know.

Inanna was the first story I learned. I wouldn't generally recommend a beginner starting with such a meaty, epic tale! I was able to take on such a big story because I was studying full time at the Drama Action Centre in Sydney, so I had many teachers and a very supportive classmates. I was also completely immersed in the world of performance and after some initial ambivalence and resistance I soon became completely passionate and one-pointed about storytelling.

Then I was lucky enough to get my dream director for my graduating solo performance: Neal Cameron. Neal Cameron was director of the Woodford Fire Event from the festivals inception until about 2003 (?) Over the years I have performed Inanna at folk festivals like Woodford, Port Fairy, the National as well as The Whole Woman Festival. My telling has changed slightly as my understanding of the myth has changed.

Most of the text I use is as originally translated by Kramer and Wolkstein, but I added a few contemporary touches and humour to make the tale as accessible as possible, without losing its original richness or power.

Years ago I found a book about Mesopotamia that claimed that the name Jennifer (my full name) evolved from the name Inanna. Of course I bought the book!